Pentecost Sunday, May 19
Sunday, May 19 is Pentecost Sunday, when we celebrate the Holy Spirit descending on the fearful disciples and empowering them for ministry that would change the course of human history. This gift of power from God to the disciples began what came to be known as the Church, which is why we call Pentecost the Church’s Birthday. There will be two services on this day, at 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. The 10:30 service will include selections from A Little Jazz Mass by well-known British composer Bob Chilcott.
Wear red to celebrate the tongues of fire that descended on the first disciples!
Join us for worship, including Holy Eucharist, any Sunday. Holy Cross offers three Sunday morning services.
- 8:00 a.m. A quiet, simple, traditional service of Holy Eucharist
- 9:00 a.m. Holy Eucharist with hymns, organ, children's choir, and periodic instrumentalists.
- 11:00 a.m. Holy Eucharist with hymns, organ, soloists, and periodic instrumentalists including hand chimes.
Wednesday Noon Eucharist
Holy Cross offers a brief service of Holy Eucharist every Wednesday at 12 noon. About twenty minutes in length, this worship service is intended for the midweek lunch break, as a way to stay grounded amidst the busyness of life. As with all services at Holy Cross, this service is public and intended for all residents, workers, and passersby in our surrounding Dunn Loring, Tyson’s Corner, Merrifield, Vienna, and Falls Church community.
Music at Holy Cross
One way that we learn how music is connected with our spiritual journey is through participation in one of our choirs. The children, youth, instrumentalists, soloists and adults practice the notes, harmonies, rhythms and logistics of performing music. But most importantly, we experience fellowship and cooperation as we explore how the text and the nuances of making music together can be a means to the inner faith journey. Consider joining choir this year to lift your heart and mind to God’s glory through the gift of music. Contact Donna Whited, Director of Music Ministries to learn more.
Below is the schedule of choirs:
- Adult Choir: Sings weekly at 11:00 a.m. worship on Sundays. Rehearsals are Thursdays from 7:30-9 p.m. and Sunday mornings at 10:30 a.m. in the sanctuary.
- Children’s Choir (Age 3-Grade 5) Rehearsals are also on Sunday, at 10:10 a.m. in the Sunday School room. Children’s Choir sings at the 9 a.m. worship service on occasions throughout the year.
- Guitar Group: Open to instrumentalists of all ages. Plays on the second and fourth Sundays of the month at the 9 a.m. service. Contact Mike Nicholson at for more information.
- Instrumentalists: Musicians of all ages are invited to offer their musical gifts. Please contact Donna Whited to determine an appropriate time and selection.
One of our great joys at Holy Cross is to celebrate and bless a marriage. We take the responsibility very seriously, as our traditions demand.
Please contact the parish office for a copy of The Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage at Holy Cross, and to schedule a meeting with the Rector.
Holy Cross conducts a Eucharist service and provides companionship for residents of Iliff Nursing Home on Fridays at 10:30 a.m. Please meet us there. Contact Ron Parnell with questions.
If you are interested in being baptized or in having your child baptized at a future service, please contact the office.