Church of the Holy Cross
2455 Gallows Road
Dunn Loring, VA 22027-1225

703.698.6991

Our Vision

Sharing the transforming power of God's love.

Our Mission

The Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross will nurture love for and service to God by welcoming all to worship, offering sanctuary, and providing opportunities to deepen our faith, share our gifts, and help those in need in our community and around the world.

History of The Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross

In 1966 The Episcopal Diocese of Virginia bought close to four acres of farmland in Dunn Loring, Virginia. Thirteen years later, in 1979, St. Dunstan’s Episcopal Church established Holy Cross as a mission, congregation, and fifteen people held the first service in the foyer of the Dunn Loring Elementary School. The Rev. Berry Parsons, Vicar, presided.

The congregation moved in 1983 to the YWCA on Gallows Road, and in the year following, dedicated its efforts to planning and financing the first phase of a building to house the growing community. The building was raised in the summer of 1984, and the first service held the following September. As the congregation continued to grow, “Phase II” became basement classrooms for children’s education, and the gathering area known as “The Upper Room.” This was completed in 1987.

By 1989, Holy Cross’ membership, programs and finances had developed enough to be declared a self- sustaining member of the Diocese. By 1999, Holy Cross had grown to more than 200 households and had begun Phase III – a new sanctuary. In November of 2001, the Rt. Rev. David C. Jones, Suffragan Bishop of Virginia presided over the dedication of the new sanctuary.